The Hostile Prospect
This person disagrees with you and may even actively work against you. For a hostile prospect, use these techniques:
· Find common beliefs and establish a common ground.
· Use appropriate humor to break the ice.
· Don’t start the presentation with an attack on their position.
· You are only trying to persuade on one point; don’t talk about anything else that could trigger disagreement.
· Because of your differences, they will question your credibility. Increase your credibility with studies from experts or anything that will support your claim.
· They will try to find reasons to not like you; don’t give them any.
· Don’t tell them you are going to try to persuade them.
· Express that you are looking for a win-win outcome rather than a win-lose situation.
· Show them you’ve done your homework.
· Respect their feelings, values, and integrity.
· Use logical reasoning as clearly and as carefully as possible.
· Use the Law of Connectivity and the Law of Balance.